Saturday, August 24, 2013

Aug 24 Basket Contents and my plans for them

This is completely informational for the people who have never participated in Bountiful Baskets before. I tempted you earlier this week with what was offered for the week and now I wanted to let you know what this week had in store for us.




I do want to say that only once before had I ever seen a huge disparity between the quantity of fruit and vegetables, but I sure wasn't disappointed in this week's basket. Now to get down to the contents list in case you aren't a visual person.

Contents:
Let's start with the Veggies first
4 ears of corn: I have a feeling we will be eating this straight up as our mid week splurge
8 Hatch Chiles: I love to add peppers to everything including taco meat, meatloaf, salads, you get the idea
4 Roma tomatoes: These have to be the biggest roma's I have ever seen and are now living in my vacuum sealed salad jars.
4 Green Peppers: These didn't last long as I still haven't been feeling well and my mother rode to pick up with me and these are now living in her refrigerator. If they were in my kitchen they would be in salads, hamburgers, tacos, and they are pretty tasty raw dipped in spicy hummus and even ranch.
3 Zucchini: These I am super excited about. Years ago my Grandmother made spaghetti with sliced zucchini instead of noodles and I have been thinking about it recently. I hated it then and now am thinking this would be a great way for us to have spaghetti without all the bad that comes with spaghetti.
2 Avocados: These are mini's and destined for our beef taco's; shredded beef, slice of avocado, a little shredded cheese and salsa how can this go wrong.
1 bunch of spinach: Yum gotta love the greens, and this is all living in our salad jars.
2 heads of romaine lettuce: Greens equal salad jars.
2 packages of carrots: Carrots are one of the items we go through a lot of not because we eat that many either. We have labs and labs love to chew so as pups they chewed on refrigerated or frozen carrots so when the refrigerator door opens there is the crew ready for a snack. Most baskets only had a single package but we chose carrots as our case end. Case ends are what is left over after all baskets get equal distribution of the available produce and the case ends are then split equally between the baskets. I was the hero of the day....well at least in the eyes of the dogs!

Onto the Fruit!
6 Bananas: We love bananas in smoothies, sliced into yogurt, frozen into slices, and occasionally straight from the peel.
5 Peaches: These are amazing! I have them hidden and have eaten almost all of them.....shhh!
4 Golden Apples I think but these were mentioned on the Bountiful Baskets Facebook page as Asian Pears: There is frequently something that I am unsure exactly what something is or what to do with it and this week this item is it. My plans will be to either add these into a smoothie or to try to slice it and see how it goes. You never know if you will like it until you try it.

As I said the mix is typically a lot more balanced, but I didn't mind the heavy veggies at all because when we began participating earlier this year we were heavy fruit eaters, now we are heavy veggie eaters. In the coming weeks I will share how I make it easier for my family to eat our veggies during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment