Each Friday the Bountiful Baskets Facebook page reminds us
to clean out our refrigerators. If you are like me you are terrible at this
until something smells funky because you know someday you will need that half
of whatever is living at the very back of your fridge. I have been getting
better about making neat rows where everything has a home and is always put
back, but who am I kidding with kids I don’t think that neatly labeled refrigerator will be a reality anytime soon…..really who has time for that. So
what I do on Friday evening to prepare for pick up is to try to very ruthlessly
go through the refrigerator. I say I try because this
is worse than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for me so I will hit the high
spots, basically the produce drawers and middle shelves where things go to be
forgotten and create a big mess…no it is a big stinky furry mess if it gets
forgotten in this zone. Random things find this zone home including the half
eaten apple I pulled out this morning, those baggies of partially used onions
where you know you will use that other half but then forget and get a new onion
the next time you need a little onion. I am sharing this to let you know I am
far from perfect and it is ok if you have this same phenomenon in your fridge.
This holiday weekend was super busy for me so I did have to use my garage refrigerator to store my basket in my tote until late Sunday evening when I was finally able to get some time to go through it, wash everything, have a little snack, and put it away. So here it is fresh out of my garage refrigerator after having been in there for a little over 24 hours. I thought I was going to have to chain the door shut so I would be able to share these pictures with you!Here it is the contents all nice and arranged on my table: 4 ears of corn, 7 Hatch chilies, 3 green peppers, 2 zucchini, 1 head of romaine, 1 organic broccolette, 4 peaches (only until after I snapped this pic then it was 3), 3 Asian pears, 7 bananas, and 1 amazing smelling cantaloupe.
My Usual Plan of Attack!
Once the basket is picked up and brought home
my family will pick through getting what they like best and digging in while I
attempt to create some semblance of order where everything gets washed, sorted,
and put away. Washing produce is
extremely important before it goes into the fridge if your family is anything
like mine because once it’s in the fridge the kids....possibly a slightly older phone chatting flip flop wearing momma....will pick through and get a
few grapes, blueberries, and maybe a slice of cheese and not think about
washing the produce before popping it in their mouth. So while everything is
hectic I begin filling up the sink with cold water and then add a splash of
vinegar. If you are the measuring type which I was at one time too, this is 10
parts water to 1 part vinegar. If you have city water you can also splash a
little vinegar into your dishwasher prior to running to help keep your glasses
clear, but I digress.
Unless I have a specific plan to assemble salad jars at a
later time everything including salad greens goes into a vinegar wash to make
sure it is nice and clean; many people say this also extends the life of
delicate items but I cannot speak to that as delicate fruits don’t last long in
my house. I have a wire mesh colander where I put the small fruits and rotate
them into the water wash. Sometimes I am in a hurry and leave some of the
fruits in for just a few minutes, but if you can let them sit in the water a
little longer then look at the film on the top of the water it is an eye opening
experience to say the least. Also this will help any greens that the TX heat
got to perk right backup……man now I know why the stores have those annoying
misters that come on right as soon as I go to grab something.
I do like to let the produce dry a little prior to putting
it in the fridge so I let it air dry on the counter or if I am in a huge hurry
will shake the excess water off and call it a day. Both methods work extremely
well and the road doesn’t matter if the end result is the same.
Because the peaches are so amazing I just couldn't help but immediately eat one....even before really soaking it...just a quick dunk and rinsed under running water. I will leave you with the amazing close up of all 4 of them together!Once I have washed everything I know the kids….um or myself…can graze standing in front of the refrigerator with the door open and everything is mostly clean of all the things I imagine collect on produce as it travels from the fields and orchards to my kitchen.
Monday may be a holiday, but if you don't mind traveling into Fort Worth contributions open at noon and I know I will be traveling into Fort Worth bright and early Saturday morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment